The widely mediaeval castle was modernised in the 17th and 18th century when a residential complex and a terraced garden were built. In 1903 August Thyssen bought the estate and had it expanded by architect Otto Lüer. He attached a new building for dining hall and winter garden just as a new carriage shed overlooking the valley. Thyssen also had the entrance bridge, the fountain and the surrounding forests rebuilt based on baroque examples.
go to overview